Sunday, March 11, 2012

Behaviour Management

This year my class is testing all my knowledge and beliefs about managing behaviours in our classroom.  I am a strong believer in positive classroom behaviour, but have to admit, after 5 weeks of being a broken record it has become very difficult to remain positive!!  But it is a new week... sMonday's are always positive :-)... Friday's are another matter! :-(

Here is what I started the year with.  Once again while on pinterest I found this great link using warm fluzzies.  Click here for the original post that Sesusstastic posted. The resources on here are fantastic so I have basically copied everything from that link to set up my 'warm fuzzie' management. (no point re-inventing the wheel!!!)  I have added extra coupons that are relevant to our school and our class and not used some that are 'american'.

I started out handing out warm fuzzies for anything and everything positive that I saw in our classroom.  I would have a daily focus (book bags in desks, reading books away etc) as well as general classroom behaviours.  At an appropriate time children would put their warm fuzzies in their cup. (I have colour co-ordinated with their house colours red= pink, yellow = orange, green, blue)  At the end of the week children count up their warm fuzzies and then record their score on a graph (linking to graphing that we did at the start of the year for maths).  

The students love getting warm fuzzies, and hate having to give them back if caught doing something they shouldn't be doing.

If children have managed to get 10 warm fuzzies then they are able to trade in for 1 coupon from my organiser.  For every 5 after that they get to choose another one.  I have to admit that I haven't been totally organised when it comes to redeeming them in, but I am aiming to have trading Tuesday and Thursdays.

I have followed the original post and not allowed students to count their fuzzies until the end of the week.  With continuing behaviour issues with several of my students, I wondered if visually seeing what they had, would help motivate them to keep going with good behaviour.  So I have now started a reward chart that I give them ticks, and at the end of the day, I make a big deal about how many warm fuzzies they have achieved and hand them out.  The chart starts fresh the next day, and warm fuzzies are added to their cup again at the end of the day.

What do you do for positive behaviour management?  I would love to hear your thoughts.

1 comment: